Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Disappearance of Robin Reed

 


On January 24, 1995, 15-year-old Robin Reed was last seen jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge in Petaluma, California. He had left a suicide note behind stating he felt unwanted. He had recently told friends that he was gay, but did not come out to his parents though they suspected it. 

His parents stated that he was being bullied at Petaluma Highschool. He had a failing grade on his report card and told his parents about the bullying. He said that he was called derogatory names and picked on about his sexuality that he wasn't even out about though it was suspected. It would have probably been worse if they actually knew about it. At one point he told his mom, "Mom, I'm a really normal and healthy 15-year-old because my hormones are raging right now. But I hate being sexual. My life is going so well and I'm really happy except for my hormones. I hate them. It's so confusing. I don't even know if I'm straight or not."

His body was never recovered and is unlikely that he survived the jump. After his death, students at his high school created a Gay/Straight Alliance in his memory. 

SOURCES:
Albion Monitor November 14, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Update: Etsy and Printify

 This has nothing to do with True Crime and you can ignore it if you want. I'm just trying to advertise my Etsy and Printify as I'm ...