Friday, March 13, 2020

Murder of James Harry Hartley

On March 13, 1954, the body of 33-year-old Union leader James Hartley was found in a shallow grave in the desert on Paradise Rd. near the old Los Angeles Highway in Sloan, Nevada. He had been killed with a gunshot wound to the head.

His car was also found in Los Angeles across from the sheet metal worker's union hall. The car was found to be shot through the windshield. Several leads were pursued related to Union activity. Including one man who was suspected at one point, but never arrested or charged with the crime.

SOURCES:
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
Reno Gazette-Journal March 25, 1954 
The Charlotte Observer April 6, 1954
Reno Gazette-Journal October 22, 1954

4 comments:

  1. I'm James hartley son of James hartley and everybody knows that Hanley killed him with the help of his son. They also got away with several other union murders. What a shame that the law couldn't do anything ,they were probably on the take back then what a shame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, my name is Esteban Ramirez and I'm the senior news producer at KTNV in Las Vegas. I put together stories of cold cases at our station. First off, I want to say I'm sorry about what happened to your father and my condolences to you and your family. I'm currently looking into this case. I was wondering if you would be willing to talk with us on camera about your father and his case. Aside from here, you can also reach me at Esteban.Ramirez@ktnv.com.

      Delete
  2. My 2 sisters are the daughters of James Hartley. My mother had divorced him before i was born. Yes, it is a shame no one was ever arrested for this crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, my name is Esteban Ramirez and I'm the senior news producer at KTNV in Las Vegas. I put together stories on cold cases at our station. First off, I want to say I'm sorry about what happened to James and my condolences to you and your family. I'm currently looking into this case. I was wondering if you and/or your sisters would be willing to talk with us on camera about your James and his case. Aside from here, you can also reach me at Esteban.Ramirez@ktnv.com.

      Delete

Murder of Bertha Scott and Nancy Lagerquist

On May 2, 1990, 86-year-old Bertha Scott was found dead in her room at the Riverside Health Care Facility on East Broadway in Missoula, Mont...